11.24.2009

{12 Posts before Thanksgiving} Traditions

As a mom of three little girls, I have given holiday traditions a lot of thought. What memories do I remember most of family holidays? What memories do I want my girls to cherish when they are older? What traditions will be unique to our family?
As a child, my family ate Thanksgiving dinner at home; my mother cooked a feast. What I remember best is eating her pumpkin pies fresh from the oven (with a big dollop of Cool Whip) during the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. That was yummy! Now that I'm older and married, my husband and I invite our collective families to Thanksgiving dinner at our house. That seems to be tradition and I like it! My food strategy is still in limbo but another emerging tradition seems to be my mom making dessert with my girls and they love it! The girls and I also make some table decoration together. One year, it was glitter squash; last year, turkey placecards. This year, we're making owl placecards to complement our 'Whoooo's coming to Thanksgiving dinner' owl theme. Lastly, instead of Black Friday shopping, we go to the Holiday Parade at the Reston Town Center; it's a great family-fun activity to kick-off the winter holidays. So it seems that our Thanksgiving traditions are emerging on their own.
What are your traditions? Turkey Trot (5k) in the morning? Flag football before dinner? Board games? Home movies? Sing-a-longs?

No comments:

Post a Comment