12.28.2009

Ring in the New Year, 2010!


New Year's Eve is one of my family's favorite holidays! We spend it with my husband's sister's family; she has 2 kids about the same age as my girls so everyone plays really well together. We alternate hosting but the formula is always the same - take-out dinner from Outback, followed by lots of playing and then, dessert and a toast to the New Year. Last year, we added a sleepover - and the kids are super excited to do it again this year!
While I'm not hosting the festivities this year, I know that quite a few of you are so I have some ideas to share with you. Whether your celebration is adults-only or family-friendly, I have an idea or two to make it posh in a pinch!
Decor
Above is a photo of my table decor last year. Using candles, I created a "Countdown" design. I bought 5" round [unscented] candles from Target. I wrapped scrapbooking paper around them (gift wrap will work, too) and tied with gift wrap garland (ribbon will work, too). I used silvery-glittered chipboard numbers and letters (from Michaels). To give the candles a little height, I turned my candlestick holder over but you could also put the candles on a [decorated] cake stand. To enhance the sparkle, I have a twinkly LED light table runner. Further, I wrapped the napkin and flatware with a piece of the garland and inserted a colorful noisemaker. The result was absolutely festive. The kids had a great time blowing out the candles as we counted down to the New Year!





Games
I came across 3 neat ideas for entertaining guests - 1) Bubble Jump and 2) New Year's Favors on marthastewart.com; and 3) New Year's Playing Cards on realsimple.com. I can't wait to watch my girls "POP" the bubbles!
Champagne
If you're interested in more bubbles, foodandWine.com has a great Champagne guide.

Toasts
Many toasts of New Year's Eve are best wishes for health and happiness, which is fine, but I came across a toast that made me chuckle; perhaps you will, too.
Raise your glass. Let the old year pass.
Just don't drink so much you fall on your a**.


Auld Lang Syne
This song is sung at the stroke of midnight every year yet do you know the words? Rather than humming this year, I thought I'd learn the words. Here's the chorus:
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and days of auld lang syne.

However you celebrate the beginning of a new year, may it be fun and festive and surrounded by family and friends! Happy New Years! Happy 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment